25/06/2019 0 Comments
Getting the Most of Your Calgary Heating System
The seasons march on, and while the cooler temperatures of autumn conjure up images of cozy cardigans and warm drinks by the fireplace, these thoughts will eventually be replaced by the full frigidness of deep winter. These temperatures can be really taxing on your heating system; however, there are a few simple tricks to getting the most from your heating systems, even in the coldest weather.
The heating systems specialists at Commercial Mechanical Systems, in Calgary, have some great advice on how to get the most bang for your heating dollar this Calgary winter.Cover those windows. A good, strong plastic sheet sealed tightly to the window frame will help greatly reduce the cold from drafts or chilly windows. You can also consider installing shades or insulating drapes for the winter months.
- Soak up the sun. Even winter’s pale sun can help maintain warmth. Keep those curtains open, especially on windows that face the sun, during the day. Shut them at night to reduce the chill from the windows.
- Seal those leaks. Use weather-stripping or caulk to seal leaky windows and doors. You should also check for any leaks coming through from holes cut for your plumbing, recessed lights in your ceiling, or around the chimney ducts. Also check for spaces behind closets or cupboards that may not be insulated properly. A Calgary plumber might be required to fix extensive leaks.
- Adjust the temperature. Set the thermostat to a low but comfortable temperature for the times of day when you are awake and active. At night, or when you’re out of the house, drop the temperature by ten or more degrees (not too low though, as you want to avoid freezing your pipes). Wearing thick socks and sweaters in the house can help you be comfortable even at a slightly lower temperature.
- Avoid heat-loss from the fireplace. A crackling fireplace is one of the best things about winter, but the need to vent the smoke can lead to a loss of heating. Keep the damper closed when the fireplace is not in use – and if you never use the fireplace, seal the flue. Adding caulking around the hearth can also help minimize the loss of heat.
- Maintain your Calgary heating system. Most importantly, make sure your heating system is running smoothly. Schedule regular maintenance by professionals and replace your furnace or boiler filters monthly (or as recommended by the manufacturer). If you use heaters and boilers, make sure flue vents and the heaters themselves are cleaned regularly to maximize their effectiveness.
Stay toasty in Calgary!Whether you need a plumber or a heating specialist, Commercial Mechanical Systems can help with your commercial repairs, provide expert maintenance of your existing systems and boilers, and even install new systems ahead of the coming winter in Calgary and around Alberta. We have the tools and know-how to keep even the worst cold outside. Give us a call at our Calgary location or visit our website for more information or to book an appointment.